HOME>EASTERN OHIO>CAMBRIDGE COALFIELD

CAMBRIDGE FIELD



A coal camp named Ava, where the coal miners of the Detroit mine lived. Cambridge Collieries closed the Detroit mine in 1912. (May 2005 image by author)


Here is one of the original coal camp houses in Walhonding, OH. Simalar styled housing for coal miners can be found in the neighboring Hocking Coalfield. (Jan. 2006 image by author)


The slate dump is the only remaining surficial feature of Cambridge Collieries Walhonding mine. (Jan. 2006 image by author)


This is said to be the remains of the powerhouse of the Moss mine. (May 2005 image by author)


A coal train winds through Trail Run, OH in this vintage photo. (Image from the book "The Immigrant Cocoon" by Dr. Lorle Porter)


This house is part of the row of houses in the upper left corner of the vintage photograph shown above. Probably built by Cambridge Collieries, it is one of the few remaining coal camp houses in Trail Run, OH. (Jan. 2006 image by author)


Probably was the company store - Trail Run, Oh. (Jan. 2006 image by author)


Trail Run contained two coal mines. Trail Run No. 1 was operated by the Akron Coal Co., and the No. 2 mine was the domain of Cambridge Collieries. This structure is one of the last remnants of the mines in Trail Run, which closed in 1928. (Jan. 2006 image by author)


The former location of the rail switch to the Wills Creek Coal Company's Central Mine, as marked along the The Buckeye Central Scenic Railroad. This railroad makes a pleasant run from Byesville to Derwent, passing the location of many former coal mines. As we sat in our seats of the rail car and watched the countryside go by, the Master of Ceremonies talked about the history of the area. On the way back to Byesville, this son of a Slovak coal miner produced many mining artifacts, told stories from local coal mines, and played and sang songs relating to coal mining, all while wearing mining attire. He even played us a little accordion, as you would expect from a Slovak. (May 2005 image by author)


The Cambridge Coal Field attracted many Europenan immigrants in the early 1900s. They brought their religious customs with them from the "old country", and built churches to maintain these customs and faiths in the USA. However, most of the mines in the Cambridge Field closed in the 1920s and 1930s. Since then many of the immigrants have died, and I would assume that many of their descendents have left the area or assimilated into the American mainstream. This orthodox church in Belle Valley, Ohio named Exaltation of the Holy Cross, has been closed since 1967. It now sits overgrown on a hill overlooking the town. (Jan. 2006 image by author)


A closer look at the forgotten, forlorn orthodox church. (Jan. 2006 image by author)


However, there is still a little bit of the immigrant culture left in the Cambridge Coalfield after all these years, as evidenced by this sign taped in a window in Byesville. (May 2005 image by author)


Houses built by the Akron Coal Company to house the miners of their Black Top mine. It was a shaft mine down into the Upper Freeport coal seam, known in Ohio as No. 7 coal seam. (Jan. 2006 image by author)


The neighboring coal camp, also operated by the Akron Coal Co., was named Kings Mine. (Jan. 2006 image by author)


As reported in a 1913 issue of Coal Age: "An explosion in the Imperial No. 3 mine, operated by the Imperial Mining Co., Noble County, Ohio, on the evening of May 17, 1913, between the hours of six and seven, at which time 27 men were in the mine. Work was being rushed for the completion of a new motor road, and according to testimony given at the coroner's inquest, no inspection had been made of the working places by the fireboss, and a workman is supposed to have entered one of the rooms, igniting a body of gas. The repair work had cut off the ventilation and permitted the gas to accumulate. Fourteen miners were killed."

www.addlikebutton.net

EASTERN OHIO COALFIELDS

APPALACHIAN COALFIELDS HOME