Boston Colliery was opened by the Boston Coal Company in 1857. The next year, Boston became a property of Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad. Delaware & Hudson Canal Co. (later just Delaware & Hudson Co.) acquired Boston Colliery in 1880 and operated it successfully for several decades. The Boston breaker was abandoned in 1908 and coal was take out through D&H's nearby Plymouth No. 5 breaker. The Boston Colliery breaker was demolished in 1909. It was now considered part of Plymouth No. 5 operations. The "Boston section" of Plymouth No. 5 was last mentioned in state mine records in 1915.
A malicious individual set fire to a stack of mine timber props being stored in the Boston mine on May 10, 1911. This resulted in the death of five miners.