Coal mining village of Amsterdam, namesake of this coalfield. (Mar. 2004 image by author)

This was the "O.P. Mine" and associated company housing that was at the northern end of Amsterdam. The colliery is to the right. (1910 image courtesy of AtypicalArt, used with permission)

Remaining company houses from the O.P. mine. (Nov. 2009 image by author)

These foundations and an abandoned rail spur are the only remnants of the Wolf Run Coal Company's coal mine at Wolf Run, Ohio, which opened in 1905. (Mar. 2004 image by author)

The tipple, power house, and bath house at Wolf Run as they looked in 1921. By this time the Number 6A (Lower Freeport) coal mine at Wolf Run was named Elizabeth and the operator was the Warner Collieries Company. (1921 Coal Age image via Google Books)

An old photo of the Wolf Run mine's man hoist. The coal camp houses are in the background. (1921 Coal Age image via Google Books)

All Saints Orthodox Church can still be found in Wolf Run, Ohio. (Nov. 2009 image by author)

Ruins of the Jessie Mine near East Springfield, which was opened into at least the 1970s. (Nov. 2009 image by author)

A shop building and part of a truck mine tipple at the Jessie Mine remains. (Nov. 2009 image by author)

This tipple for loading trucks, with house coal perhaps, is extant at the site of the Jessie Mine. It may have been connected by conveyor to a larger cleaning plant. (Nov. 2009 image by author)

Crumbling shop buildings remain from the Jessie Mine between East Springfield and Wolf Run, OH. (Nov. 2009 image by author)

Coal camp houses on the north end of Bergholz, Ohio may have been for the Eagle Mine. (Nov. 2009 image by author)

This small rail yard remains at Bergholz. (Nov. 2009 image by author)

One coal mining facility that is still operational in this coalfield is the prep plant of the Sterling Mining Corporation between Bergholz and Salineville. It seems that there has been a Sterling Mine here for 70 or 80 years. (Nov. 2009 image by author)