HOME>NORTHERN WV>FAIRMONT COALFIELD>CAROLINA

CAROLINA, W.VA.

Carolina, West Virginia is a coal mining town in Marion County, W.Va. built in 1915-16 by Consolidation Coal Co. It was named after coal baron James Watson's daughter. Carolina was Consol's Mine No. 86, and it was a shaft mine into the Pittsburgh seam. The first coal was shipped in June 1916. Later Bethelehem Steel's Industrial Collieries subsidiary operated the Carolina mine as Mine No. 43 before closing the mine in June 1949.


The former company store at Carolina was built in 1925. (2016 image by Mark Phillips)


This was probably a "Bosses Row" or "Silk Stocking Row." (2016 image by Mark Phillips)


Company houses for miners. Note the stone foundations. A quarry was operated on the hill above Carolina during the construction of the coal camp for stone to be used in the house foundations. (2016 image by Mark Phillips)


Some of these structures are probably left over from the Carolina mine complex. (2016 image by Mark Phillips)


This industrial-looking building probably dates from the Industrial Collieries era at Carolina. (2016 image by Mark Phillips)


Railroad trestle abutments from the Western Maryland Railway's spur to Carolina. (2016 image by Mark Phillips)

NORTHERN WV COALFIELDS

APPALACHIAN COALFIELDS HOME