Jamison Coal and Coke Company, based out of Westmoreland County, Pa., had been operating mines around Greensburg, Pa. for several years when they made a foray into the coal fields of Northern West Virginia by openeing three coal mines west of Fairmont in 1910. Jamison designed their mines and coal camps No. 7, No. 8, and No. 9. No. 7, at Barrackville, was sold to Bethlehem Steel in 1920. They kept operating No. 8, near Farmington, W.Va., until 1946. Then, in 1956, Jamison Coal and Coke sold their No. 9 mine, on the other side of Farmington, to Consolidation Coal Co. (They also sold a new mine they were developing, named Loveridge, to Consol, and it is still producing coal in the Twenty-First Century.) In 1968 an explosion at the No. 9 mine resulted in the death of 78 miners. Recovery of the bodies of the deceased lasted for another decade, and all of the bodies were not recovered.

This is the coal company town that Jamison constructed to house the families of the miners of their No. 8 coal mine. (Feb. 2014 image by author)

Large two story coal company houses. Jamison built their towns on the hillside, or hilltops, rather than down in the bottom of the valleys. (Feb. 2014 image by author)

These houses are actually down the hill "in front" of the coal camp, close to where the tipple was located, and may have been part of a "Bosses Row" at No. 8 coal camp. (Feb. 2014 image by author)

A smaller style of coal camp housing at nearby but separate No. 9 mine camp. (Google Street View image)

This repair shop from the Jamison NO. 8 mine was documented by WV SHPO, but it is gone now. (December 2004 WV SHPO image)

This was the prep plant from Consol No. 9 - now long gone. (image source forgotten)