HOME>SOUTHERN WV>WINDING GULF COALFIELD>MEAD

MEAD

The mining camp of Mead was originally called Vanwood, and was opened by the Wood Sullivan Coal Co. in 1917. The next operator was the C.H. Mead Coal Company, and later (1928-29) the Comago Coal Co. After the 1930s the miners were represented by UMWA Local 6109.


Nov. 1997 image by author

People still living in coal camp houses in Mead.


Feb. 2001 image by author

The superintendent's house up on the hill looking down on the peon miner's homes. This was part of the psychological warfare between the companies and the workers.


Sep. 2001 image by author

A forlorn foreman's house on the hill above the camp.


Sep. 2001 image by author

Foundations of the tipple.


Sep. 2001 image by author

The slate dump at Mead.


Jan. 2018 image by author

A tiny church.


SOUTHERN WEST VIRGINIA COALFIELDS


APPALACHIAN COALFIELDS HOME