ELVERTON

Elverton is on the "south side" of the New River. The Chapman Coal and Coke Co. built Elverton in 1898. The mine was a drift mine in the 48-inch Sewell seam. Elverton was a full blown town, replete with a company store, a theatre, a pool room, and two schools for the white and black children. Branch Coal and Coke Co. were the final owners of Elverton. The mine closed in 1951, as did the white school. Today, it's difficult to imagine that the handful of foundations at Elverton were once a thriving coal town.