HOME>WESTERN PA>CONNELLSVILLE COALFIELD>BITNER

BITNER, PA

www.addlikebutton.net


Mar. 2003 image by author

The Bitner company store hangs on (without the company). At one time this would have been a Union Supply Co. store, which was the retail subsidiary of H.C. Frick Coke Co.


Image courtesy Coal and Coke Heritage Center, Penn State Fayette

The company-built town of Bitner as it looked during the coal and coke era. There were 309 workers employed by the H.C. Frick Coke Co. at Bitner in 1920 (may not include company doctor, store manager, etc.)


Oct. 2004 image by author

Those same patch houses in the modern era.


Oct. 2004 image by author

Some of the coke ovens at Bitner that are still in existence. They were constructed in 1906 by P.F. McCann of Greensburg.


Oct. 2004 image by author

Detail of one of the yellow brick coke ovens.

Sources:

“General Eastern Coal & Coke Notes.” The Black Diamond, 31 Mar. 1906, p. 36.

The Coal Field Directory - Pocket Edition, 1920, Keystone Consolidated Publishing, Inc.


WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA COALFIELDS

APPALACHIAN COALFIELDS HOME