HOME>WESTERN PA>CONNELLSVILLE COALFIELD>LEISENRING 2

WEST LEISENRING, PA (LEISENRING NO. 2)

www.addlikebutton.net


West Leisenring homes on the hillside, with the company store on the right. (March 1959 image by John Enman, from the "Silver Cinders" video)


The Leisenring No. 2 coal mine, coke works, and patch town were constructed by the Connellsville Coke and Iron Company in 1882. These "salt box" company houses are still there. (Oct. 2004 image by author)


H.C. Frick Coke Company purchased the Leisenring mines in 1890. It was probably this company that constructed this industrial shop building. H.C. Frick Coke Co. was a subsidiary of U.S. Steel, and these mines were later operated under the U.S. Steel name. (Oct. 2004 image by author)


Foundations and ruins of the Leisenring No. 2 mine are strewn about the site. (Mar. 2003 image by author)


This large refuse pile is the result of nearly 70 years of coal mining and coke manufacturing at Leisenring No. 2. (Oct. 2004 image by author)


Old coal processing equipment lying around at the edge of town. (Oct. 2004 image by author)


Visable behind this conveyor are the smaller company built cottages at the upper end of the patch. (Oct. 2004 image by author)


Some of the coke ovens at Leisenring No.2 are still in fair condition. This is probably because this is the last coke works that U.S. Steel operated in the Connellsville Coke Field. The coke ovens were allowed to go cold in 1957, two years after coal mining had ceased. (Mar. 2003 image by author)


The coke ovens when they were active in the mid-20th Century. U.S. Steel Frick Division kept this beehive coke plant open longer than most of their other coke plants. (Image from John Enman papers, 1876-2013, Coal and Coke Heritage Center at Penn State Fayette, the Eberly Campus)


Leisenring No. 2 coke ovens during the evening. The tipple is in the background. (Circa 1950s mage from John Enman papers, 1876-2013, Coal and Coke Heritage Center at Penn State Fayette, the Eberly Campus)


Western Pennsylvania hills surround beehive coke ovens at night at Leisenring No. 2. (Circa 1950s mage from John Enman papers, 1876-2013, Coal and Coke Heritage Center at Penn State Fayette, the Eberly Campus)


Leisenring No. 2 colliery (tipple, shop buildings, slate dump). (Circa 1950s mage from John Enman papers, 1876-2013, Coal and Coke Heritage Center at Penn State Fayette, the Eberly Campus)


Coke ovens and mine shaft head frame. (Circa 1950s image from John Enman papers, 1876-2013, Coal and Coke Heritage Center at Penn State Fayette, the Eberly Campus)


When the Leisenring No. 2 mine closed U.S. Steel moved the head frame for the shaft to Washington County, where they were opening a new mine called Maple Creek. US Steel operated this coal mine until 1995, after which it was operated by Murray Energy before closing in 2002 due to exhaustion of the coal. Now this shaft frame just sits on the side of the Mon-Fay Expressway with no purpose except as a monument to all the men and women that mined coal and made coke at Leisenring No. 2 has been removed and scrapped. (Aug. 2003 image by author)


WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA COALFIELDS

APPALACHIAN COALFIELDS HOME