HOME>WESTERN PA>ALLEGHENY MOUNTAIN COALFIELD>MARSTELLER

MARSTELLER, PA

Pennsylvania Coal & Coke Co. opened the coal mines at Marsteller (also known as Moss Creek) in the first decade of the 20th Century. The mines closed in 1959.


March 2021 image by author

Brick coal company houses that may have been for management.


March 2021 image by author

More coal company houses in various stages of alteration and modernization.


March 2021 image by author

This building at Marsteller was once a school, but now appears to be a private residence.


March 2021 image by author

Even the Presbyterian church is constructed from beige brick.


March 2021 image by author

One structure that remains from the Marsteller coal mine is this former wash house.


March 2021 image by author

Powder house where dynamite was stored.


March 2021 image by author

This building on the mountain above Marsteller, built in 1936, was the union hall for UMWA Local 2246. Someone has added a gabled roof to the top and turned it into Moss Creek Bar and Grill.


Image from "Coal Mine Mechaninzation Yearbook"

Vintage picture of Pennsylvania Coal and Coke Company's Marsteller / Moss Creek coal preparation plant.


December 2021 image by author

This coal silo dates to after the original Moss Creek mine closed. It was a raw coal silo built by the Barr Coal Corporation around 1970.

www.addlikebutton.net


Sources:

Fitzsimons, Gray, editor. Blair and Cambria County, Pennsylvania; An Inventory of Historic Engineering and Industrial Sites. 1990.

http://patheoldminer.rootsweb.ancestry.com (now defunct) by Ray Washlaski. Accessed here through the Wayback Machine.

Pennsylvania Mine Map Atlas, 10 Apr. 2021, www.minemaps.psu.edu/.


WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA COALFIELDS

APPALACHIAN COALFIELDS HOME