Lincoln Gas Coal Company constructed Lincoln Hill mine and patch town in Washington County in 1917-18. The first coal was shipped on August 26, 1918. Lincoln Mines No. 1 and 2 were accessed by each having its own shaft. Rail service was provided by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, and the PCC&SL Railroad. Later Lincoln Hill was owned by the Christopher Coal Company.

A July, 1920 article in The Coal Industry notes that Lincoln Hill "does not have the appearance and sameness of the common mining camp, because of the striking dissimilarity of the houses." The article further states, "Each of the 153 houses occupied, or under construction, is single, or for one family. There are 10 types of Aladdin houses represented on the plan besides a number of decidedly different constructed houses and a number of three-room houses. The houses are supplied with running water or an outside hydrant located between each two. Outside 'Sanisep' toilets and inside lavatories which drain into 'Sanisep' tanks either individual, or in batteries, have been installed. A 16-room boarding house ... has been provided for employees in which the miners hold their organization meetings. The Lincoln Hill Supply Company has erected a 40x70 brick building ... for the purpose of supplying the necessities and luxuries to the employees at a minimum rate. The front portion of the upper part of the building is the living rooms [sic] of the manager. In the basement is a complete refrigeration and ice plant. [In] the store proper a butcher shop, ice cream parlor and confectionery occupy the main floor. The upstairs is utilized as a shoe department and storage room ... The company is making every effort to give all possible opportunity [sic] for the children to receive education and culture. A plot of land has been donated for school purposes but as yet the building has not been erected .. The company has been furnishing transportation to those desiring to attend high school in Washington. This was done without charge to the employees, an automobile making the trip morning and evening."

Mar. 2004 image by author

Company store and patch houses at Lincoln Hill, PA, near "Little" Washington.

July 2003 image by author

The building on the left was the "amusement building," or "tavern," and the one on the right was the store. The amusement building contained an auditorium, lobby, confectionery, reading room, doctor's office, and there were pool tables and bowling alleys in the basement.

Mar. 2004 image by author

Overall view of the Lincoln Hill patch.

Circa 1930 image from "Keystone Coal Mining Catalog"

The Lincoln Hill tipple utilized the Peale-Davis Pneumo-Gravity coal cleaning system.

Circa 1920 image from The Coal Industry via Google Books

Inside the Lincoln Gas the Pittsburgh coal seam was high and thick. In 1926 they were in a 77" thick section of this famous coal vein, but this photo looks like twice that height.

Circa 1920 image from The Coal Industry via Google Books

This structure was the blacksmith shop.

Circa 1920 image from The Coal Industry via Google Books

Blacksmiths inside the shop working at their forge.

Circa 1920 image from The Coal Industry via Google Books

A view showing what the inside of the company store looked like.

Circa 1920 image from The Coal Industry via Google Books

Good quality "model" company housing at Lincoln Hill. In the 1922 "Keystone Coal Catalog" Lincoln Gas Coal Co. described their town as being "located in one of the finest sections of Western Pennsylvania. The lay-out of the town is in keeping with the natural beauty of its surroundings. The miners' houses are commodious and of pleasing design. Sanitary conditions are excellent, ample grounds are provided for each tenant to have gardens, a first-class commissary is at hand, and social diversions are offered the workment and their families."