A large mining camp named Jenners, built by the Somerset Coal Company to house the workers of their Jenners No. 1 through 4 mines. Later Jenners became Consolidation Coal Company Mine No. 118 (in the Upper Kittanning coal seam).

Image source lost

Part of the No. 118 colliery at Jenners.

July 2002 image by author

Coal company housing.

July 2002 image by author

Another scene from the Jenners "patch town", later owned by the Somerset Coal Company.

July 2002 image by author

From a July 25, 1906 Boston Evening Transcript article titled "Will Open New Mines:"

J.H. Wheelwright, vice president of the Consolidation Coal Company, has returned home from a trip through the Somerset region of Pennsylvania, where the Somerset Coal Company, which is owned by the Consolidation, is opening up a new territory ... In speaking of the plans of the Somerset Company, Mr. Wheelwright said, "The coal is the best in Pennsylvania, and there is sufficient in the field [sic] to keep the mines going at the rate of over 1,000,000 tons a year for more than a century. The property lies in what is known as the Johnstown basin, above the town of Boswell and in the Jenner field. We have authority to open two mines, which will have a capacity of from 2000 to 3000 tons of coal a day, and by fall will have a town of 2000 inhabitants located nearby. The Quemahoning creek runs through the property, and we will locate another town on the creek, which will have at least 2000 inhabitants. This will be ready within twelve months. There will be five mines in the new field, and it is planned to have a big central power plant to furnish electric current to run the cars in the various mines. In addition, it is planned to build a new railroad through the property to connect with the Baltimore & Ohio. At present the branch we have to use is over twenty-two miles long and traverses a circuitous route. The new line will be only fourteen miles long, and the grade will be less than one-half of one per cent. By fall we will be mining not less than 1000 tons a day, and the output will be increased as the work of developing the property progresses. It was not until about May that we started to develop the property at all, and rapid progress has been made in all the work of sinking shafts, etc. In one of the towns we have over 100 houses already built. The new field lies north of the mines which the Somerset Company is now working, and the samples of coal we have secured give us every reason for encouragement. We were anticipating the development of this new territory last spring when we ordered 1000 steel coal cars of 100 tons capacity from the South Baltimore Steel Car and Foundry Company for the Somerset Coal Company."